The record · public memory in brick & timber
Historic Buildings
34 documented historic buildings across Pottsville and Schuylkill County — theaters, firehouses, lodges & clubs, schools, libraries, civic buildings, banks, commercial buildings, industrial buildings, and dwellings, spanning the nineteenth century to the present. Each entry is geo-located, given an honest status (operating, repurposed, merged, closed, demolished, or defunct), and cited to independent sources.
One of them, the Capitol Theatre — Pottsville's 1927 movie palace, demolished in 1982 — lives on as The Capitol, a virtual cinema screening the coal region's own public-domain films.
Mount Carbon
Pottsville
Theaters
-
The Majestic Theatre The Majestic Theater at 209 North Centre Street opened in 1910 as a vaudeville-and-moving-picture house, closed in 1930, spent decades as a golf course and farmers' market, and reopened restored in 2006.
-
The Capitol Theatre The Capitol Theatre, a roughly 2,700-seat Comerford-circuit movie palace at 218–220 North Centre Street, opened in 1927 and was demolished in 1982.
Firehouses
-
Pottsville Fire Company No. 1 (Humane & Phoenix) Formed in 2024–25 by the merger of the Humane and Phoenix fire companies — both tracing to 1829 — Pottsville Fire Company No. 1 operates from the former Humane station at 200 Humane Avenue.
- Good Intent Fire Company No. 1 Organized in 1846, the Good Intent Fire Company No. 1 is one of Pottsville's oldest volunteer fire companies, still operating from Station 10 at 7 North 2nd Street downtown.
- American Hose Company No. 2 Tracing its lineage to 1848, the American Hose Company No. 2 is one of Pottsville's oldest firefighting threads; in 2021 it absorbed the neighboring Mount Carbon Fire Company and now runs two stations.
-
West End Hose Company No. 7 Organized around 1885 and chartered in 1887, the West End Hose Company No. 7 serves the west side of Pottsville from Station 50 at 1217 West Market Street.
-
Good Will Fire Company No. 4 Established in 1882, the Good Will Fire Company No. 4 serves Pottsville's northeast ward from a Coal & Nichols Streets firehouse whose cornerstone was laid in 1898.
-
Yorkville Hose Company Organized in 1891 in the former borough of Yorkville, the Yorkville Hose Company serves west-end Pottsville from a 1907 brick firehouse at 20th and West Norwegian Streets, expanded in 2016–2017.
- Greenwood Hill Fire Company No. 65 Founded in 1946 to serve Pottsville's east-end Greenwood Hill neighborhood, the Greenwood Hill Fire Company No. 65 was the youngest of the city's historic companies; it was suspended into dormancy in 2007 and never reactivated.
Lodges & Clubs
- The Pottsville Moose Home (Charles M. Atkins Mansion) Built around 1865 as the mansion of Pottsville ironmaster Charles M. Atkins, 396 South Centre Street was home to Loyal Order of Moose Lodge No. 411 from 1917 to 1994, was later redeveloped as offices, and sold again in 2025.
-
The Pottsville Club Built in 1964 as the Sharp Mountain Ski Area lodge, the building at 201 South 26th Street became home to the Pottsville Club — John O'Hara's 'Gibbsville Club' — from 1975 until the club closed in 2013.
Schools
Libraries
Civic Buildings
Banks
-
The Schuylkill Trust Company Building The Schuylkill Trust Company Building at 101 North Centre Street, Pottsville — an eight-story bank-and-office building of 1924–1925 by the New York architects Mowbray & Uffinger, now a cannabis dispensary with apartments planned above.
-
The Miners National Bank Building The Miners National Bank at 120 South Centre Street, Pottsville — a 1927 Colonial-revival banking temple by Uffinger, Foster & Bookwalter, on the site of John Haviland's 1830 cast-iron front; now the hotel The Miners 1928.
Commercial Buildings
-
225 North Centre Street 225 North Centre Street, Pottsville — the Italianate corner building at Centre and Race: a Victorian grocery, J. F. Rice's hats, a J.C. Penney store, then Workmen's Supply Co., now Schuylkill Community Action, apartments above.
-
201 North Centre Street 201 North Centre Street, Pottsville — the Second Empire corner building at Centre and Arch: tobacco merchant William E. Boyer's store, later a lodge hall and the Acme / Market Basket grocery, now the Pottsville Senior Community Center.
-
203 North Centre Street The Second Empire building at 203 North Centre Street, Pottsville — historically no. 205 and W. B. Hill's Music Store; its number came from the demolished Zerbey / Bruno & Broyer building next door. Offered for sale in 2026.
-
217–219 North Centre Street 217–219 North Centre Street, Pottsville — a c. 1870–80 Second-Empire brick building where a millinery and candy store gave way to W. A. White's Hudson-Essex auto agency; today a store below and apartments above.
-
200 North Centre Street 200 North Centre Street, Pottsville — a three-story brick corner block at Centre and Arch, standing by 1885 and known through its tenants: Murray's restaurant, then Kennedy's drug store and Reiley's appliance corner. Vacant today.
-
202–204 North Centre Street 202–204 North Centre Street, Pottsville — two contributing east-side storefronts: 202, a downtown store since at least 1885, and the 1915 terra-cotta E. Deull Building at 204; today Father and Son's 2 Barbershop, with apartments above.
-
The Ulmer Building The Ulmer Building at 207 North Centre Street, Pottsville — the three-story brick home of the Jacob Ulmer meat market for roughly a century, later an office block for state bureaus, now vacant and offered for sale.
-
The Hasler Building The Hasler Building at 123–125 West Market Street, Pottsville — a four-story brick commercial-and-apartment block standing since the 1890s, named for the merchants Keim & Hasler who bought it in 1922, and today home to Drasdis & Son.
-
The Lee Building The Lee Building at 201 West Market Street, Pottsville — a 1909–10 brick-and-terra-cotta commercial block attributed to Frank X. Reilly, later home to the East Penn trolley offices, the power company, and the Logothetides restaurants.
-
370 South Centre Street 370 South Centre Street, Pottsville — a c.1920 masonry auto-showroom on the city's 'automobile row,' home to Schuylkill Motors (Dodge Brothers), later Philco distributors, a garment factory, a camera shop, and since 2023 The Chopping Block.
- 206–208–210 North Centre Street 206–208–210 North Centre Street, Pottsville — the wide east-side commercial building the 1982 survey dates to the 1920s: an A&P Big Market, then Freedline's Super Market (1953) and Towne Markets, and today the Salvation Army Family Store.
-
The Diamonds Building The Diamonds Building at 216 North Centre Street, Pottsville — the three-story store block Isaac Diamond raised in 1924–25 on the old Fox property, DIAMONDS carved in its cast-stone front, home today to Momma Millie's Bakery.
-
The Lefkowitz Building The Lefkowitz Building at 212–214 North Centre Street, Pottsville — the four-story clothing-store block the clothier Nathan Lefkowitz rebuilt, dated 1925 on its parapet, his name still set in the storefront's mosaic floor.
-
213–215 North Centre Street 213–215 North Centre Street, Pottsville — two once-separate buildings rebuilt as one building after a 1930 fire: the Coney Island counter at 215, the Oasis Bar at 213, and the wall between them taken out before Pilger Ruh Brewing opened.